Thursday, March 5, 2009

Swimming lessons have started...YAY!!

Last week both kids started swimming lessons at the local YMCA and are looking forward to them each week now. Grace was first to go, this was the first time she had ever been in this type of environment at the pool. Usually when she goes to a pool it is for playing, and this is exactly what she thought during the entire class. ugh!!! She kept getting out of the water and trying to get the toys they were using for teaching aides. Not to mention she could see us and knew we were watching her, so I am sure she was trying to show us that she was having a good time, but we wanted her to realize the teacher was trying to show her how to swim. :(
Seth was next to go, and he is always excited when it is time for lessons. He is very comfortable in the water and loves to see how far he can swim. Most of the kids in these lessons wear a "bouy belt" around their waists to help with floating (definitely not a life saving device) but Seth is excited that he doesn't have to wear one.

This week at lessons, Grace's class moved down the pool some and this was great for her, because she couldn't really see Seth and I watching her and she did an excellent job listening to her teacher. Seth had a new teacher that day and she had him put on a bouy belt, but he tried to tell her he didn't need it, so I went over and explained to her that last week he didn't wear one either and that he can do all the things that is asked of him. She told me that because she wasn't here last week she wanted him to wear one just until she was comfortable with him in the water. We agreed for him to wear the one with only one bouy. (there are three belts, Grace wears the one with two bouys) After about 10 minutes she told him he could take it off!!!
Another mom at class asked if my kids were afraid of the water, and I said no. After watching my no fear children she believed me with no doubt. It makes me feel good that both of my kids are comfortable in the water. She said that she signed up her boy because she wants him to be comfortable too because she is afraid of the water. She also told me that she signed herself up for the adult swim class. I respectfully explained to her that both my kids have been around water since they were about 6 months old and it is very important to me that both of them learn the safety of the water. I told her that I used to teach lessons, even the adult classes and she looked at me puzzled and asked why I am not teaching them and paying for it. I told her that I tried but teaching my kids how to swim was like Richie trying to teach the kids how to play the piano. hahaha It is different when someone else is doing the teaching. She understood and I asked her how her class went last week and she said that she was scared but is going back. It just goes to show that no matter how old you are you can learn how to swim!!!!

No comments: